This blog focuses mostly on classic games that combine strategy and chance: poker, backgammon, chess, checkers, othello, go, gomoku, mahjongg, and more.



Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Don't Feel Like Poker Today, Try Backgammon

The Poker Web (links below) has a detailed comparison of the similarities between poker and backgammon. The first point is that both games require a great deal of skill, but are subject to some chance as well. For this reason, says the article, they're both great gambling games.

Years ago, when I was honing my backgammon skills, I read in my paperback reference that the top players around the world included various royalty, including a then well-known young crown prince of a small nation. I've not found my book in years, but I remember reading that top tourneys had 6-figure grand prizes - which in those days was a lot.

Heavy duty gamblers also relied on the "doubling cube" to up the ante. There are stories of pirates playing backgammon who won vast fortunes with the doubling cube.

Being a fan of both poker and backgammon, I have to say that while I like backgammon more, it's always been easier to find partners for a game of cards than for backgammon. Very few people that I've encountered understand the game. While the rules are relatively simple (as is the case with poker), skills in backgammon take time to acquire, with the "back game" usually being the bane of the newbie.

If you're interested in playing free backgammon online, The Poker Web's article has a link to "Gammon Empire". It's repeated below for convenience.

Links: The Poker Web - The Similarities of Backgammon and Poker; Gammon Empire.

(c) Copyright: 2006-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://getyergameon.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home